Re: MySQL Gets Government Thumbs Up

  • Subject: Re: MySQL Gets Government Thumbs Up
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 04:40:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [M] on Friday 13 January 2006 22:54 \__

> Malware Magnet wrote:
>
>> On 2006-01-13, Roy Culley <rgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1909418,00.asp
>>>
>>>     Open source scored its latest government takeover, with MySQL AB
>>>     nabbing a five-year contract with the General Services
>>>     Administration that will put its open-source database at the
>>>     fingertips of government customers.
>>>
>>>     As it is, MySQL already hums under thousands of federal, state and
>>>     local government entities, including Los Alamos National Labs, the
>>>     U.S. Census Bureau, the U.S. Geological Survey, NASA and the
>>>     Department of Defense.
>>
>> This is interesting. I'm surprised they're not running with PostgreSQL,
>> but it is still a step in the right direction.
>>

> In most of the books/articles/whatever that I have read about Php and
> backend databases, they seem to invariable mention MySQL and not
> PostgreSQL. Any thought why that should be?

I occasionally hear that PostgreSQL performs better and is more scalable. In
of the new shared server of my Web host, it is even offered as an option,
alongside MySQL. it wasn't the case with the older server.

It might be just a matter of time until PostgreSQL earns its deserved
reputation. I was trying to find benchmarks once, but wasn't successful. I
guess people like an SQL database that's *theirs*, not owned by some
postgraduate student.

In a recent benchmark involving commercial databases and MySQL (not
PostgreSQL), MySQL beat Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft.

http://www.builderau.com.au/architect/database/soa/Road_test_Four_databases_tested/0,39024547,39224962,00.htm