Re: Directory/File 'Stuck' in Webspace

__/ [Michael Heiming] on Sunday 15 January 2006 10:50 \__

> In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <ptb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> __/ [Grant] on Sunday 15 January 2006 08:17 \__

>>> I have permissions to operate on file in cPanel,
>
>> Will you please LISTEN! Removing a file is not an operation on the
>> file, but on the DIRECTORY. When you stop talking about permissions
>> on the file we will know that the words are finally sinking into your
>> skull.

I don't care much for your vain attitude. But as I said earlier in this
thread, I did ensure that the full path had the required permissions too,
several times even.

> Indeed, the problem seems directly related to this "cpanel"
> whatever it is. Presumingly some fancy GUI admin tool?

Yes, that's correct. *smile* It is usually very reliable, but there is plenty
of room for improvement.

> He might not even see the usual output of 'ls -al' which should
> be obvious enough to see *DIRECTORY* permissions. You just don't
> want to trust some GUI, it just puts an unneeded layer between
> the system and the user, when you want to see things as directly
> as possible.
>
> Amen

The closest I could ever get to shell access was PHPShell, which is very
barebone and sluggish, for obvious reasons. At the end, I was able to change
the file by changing permissions of the path in question to be writable by
all (temporarily). I am happy to have resolved this.

Thanks very much for the calm(er) response, Michael.