Re: [News] Microsoft Pulls the Plug on Windows 98, ME Next Month

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 04 July 2006 19:22 \__

> Gordon wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft names Windows 98 and Millennium execution day
>>>
>>> 70 million users have to upgrade
>>
>> They won't /HAVE/ to upgrade - there just won't be any more patches
>> issued (good!)
>
> Not good. unpatched machines = more zombies = more spam.

Exactly. That's what I thought too.

>> and there will be no support from MS (so what's new?). There will
>> still be peer-to-peer support......
>
> Peer support isn't much good, when you're dealing with closed-source
> Abandonware. Once all the registry hacks and tweaking tools have been
> exhausted, what do you do then, when the software no longer functions?
> It's not like you can clean up the source and recompile.

What will the user do when a problem recurs despite re-installation? Think,
for example, about Registry infections through WMF.

> No, the original assertion is a true and important one, millions of
> hold-out Win98/ME users now face the forced choice of either upgrading
> or switching.

I think that Microsoft makes this too implicit, but it's somewhat transparent
nonetheless.

> With each passing day without support, the risks to their systems (and
> our inboxes) increases exponentially, well apart from the ever
> increasing inconveniences of running an unsupported OS.
>
> So the choice is; pay for an upgrade from an 8 year old product to a 5
> year old product, that is about to be superseded, and will likely be
> as slow as molasses on their older hardware, if it works at all, or
> download a modern GNU/Linux distro for free.
>
> Either that, or pay an even greater sum to switch to a Mac.
>
> On behalf of the GNU/Linux community, I'd like to extend a warm
> welcome to 70 Million new users.

"Let them have cakes".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
Tasks: 171 total,   1 running, 153 sleeping,   0 stopped,  17 zombie