Re: [News] Security Suggests Ditching Windows

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 14:54:18 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 05 July 2006 17:10 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> BBC: Security suggests switch to Macs
>>>
>>> (Note: the same arguments that apply to one _commercial_ BSD/Darwin-based
>>> O/S (POSIX-compatible) are equally adequate for GNU/Linux)
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5150508.stm
>>
>> It's probably not bad advice!  As you say, there are other alternatives,
>> too.  Monoculture is bad.
>
>Read the following, Mark. Just published:
>
>,----[ Quote ]
>| So if everyone switched to Mac, the problem might re-emerge, BSD based
>| OS or not, as it would be a more tempting target. The beauty of Linux is
>| its variety - from Red Hat to SUSE to Ubuntu - and it makes it that
>| much harder to create something which will affect all of us. Furthermore,
>| the open source community is aggressive about sorting bugs - it?s a vast
>| pool of resource that no private company can ever match.
>|
>| So Sophos, if you?re reading this - care to change your mind? How
>| about suggesting to your customers that they think really different,
>| and get a hold of Linux.
>`----
>
>http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=26
>
>This guy's writeups are quite good.

Like Gordon - Message-ID: <OvqdnfdYQo7gXzbZnZ2dnUVZ8qKdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -  I
also emailed Sophos, & in particular Graham Cluley. I suggested that if everyone
switched from Windows to a Mac, it would become a high profile OS (like Windows)
& thus a large target for malware *just* like Windows is now.

He agreed, but he said it was doubtful that everyone would suddenly change to
Macs, nor were they saying that Macs are any more secure than Windows,  just
that they would avoid the current Windows malware threats.

He went on to say that Sophos are big fans of Linux and alternative operating
systems, & I was correct to state that there is a lot less malware for these
operating systems than there is for Microsoft Windows.

So *why* didn't he recommend linux then? Well I got what, IMHO, is a "strawman"
answer.  Whether the kind of home users he had in mind would feel "comfortable
in changing to Unix" (his words) he wasn't sure. In his opinion, it might be
that ATM only more technical home users would feel comfortable with changing.
He feels that someone like his 'Aunty Hilda' might feel a little daunted
switching to Unix, but probably more comfortable using Apple Macintosh.

Why? If she knows nothing about computers, isn't technical, & all she wants is
to email, write letters & perhaps a little surfing etc, WTF is he saying she
might feel daunted for?  You could install linux, boot it, & would she know the
difference?

He goes on to say that "there are lots of home computer users out there, some of
whom have very little clue about security."  (Actually, If you look at Sophos'
security report into the top 10 viruses of 2006 so far - some of them are over
two years old, and every anti-virus on the planet detects them....so *why* are
they still a threat? Dumb Windoze users, IMO, with *no* idea of security.)
He says that for the last X number of years they have been telling Windows home
users to better protect themselves, install all patches, update their
anti-virus, & do NOT click on unsolicited attachments etc.  "It seems that many
still aren't listening, or are incapable of doing it." he adds.
It's these home users (who seem seem incapable of protecting themselves) that
Sophos suggests may want to consider buying a Mac. "Not because Macs are better,
but because there are only a malware handful of threats for Mac OS X (which you
are unlikely to encounter) compared to *LOTS* on Windows." he says.
So again, if they used a Mac & got malware, WTF was the point in switching?
http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2006/02/macosxleap.html

All the *more* reason to change to linux IMHO. :-)

On reflection, I dare say Sophos might be thinking of producing Mac AV products,
which would be why Mr Cluley said switch to Macs, not linux....