Re: [News] Security Suggests Ditching Windows

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 07 July 2006 22:24 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 05 July 2006 17:10 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> It's probably not bad advice!  As you say, there are other alternatives,
>>> too.  Monoculture is bad.
>>
>> Read the following, Mark. Just published:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| So if everyone switched to Mac, the problem might re-emerge, BSD based
>>| OS or not, as it would be a more tempting target. The beauty of Linux is
>>| its variety - from Red Hat to SUSE to Ubuntu - and it makes it that
>>| much harder to create something which will affect all of us. Furthermore,
>>| the open source community is aggressive about sorting bugs - it?s a vast
>>| pool of resource that no private company can ever match.
>>|
>>| So Sophos, if you?re reading this - care to change your mind? How
>>| about suggesting to your customers that they think really different,
>>| and get a hold of Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=26
>>
>> This guy's writeups are quite good.
>>

> I completely agree - I've said the same thing many times myself - a
> monoculture (cf bananas!) is a risky thing, highly prone to viruses.

...that easily spread and mutate. Diversity is divine. Having multiple
vendors in charge of open, collaboratory components facilitates peer review.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
  8:10am  up 71 days 13:13,  12 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.64, 0.61