Re: The Last Genuine Copy of Windows XP

On Friday 07 July 2006 13:31 dsteel0@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Where are you getting this information? I work with a support company.
> and we observer thousands of XP machines. Not a single one has ever
> had any issue with validation.

It's nice to hear from somebody who has no vested interest in the debate:-)

In fact, your comment does not surprise me.  Presumably your support
contracts are with companies who themselves have volume licences, and (if
only yourselves) some professional administration and configuration
management?
The impression that I get is that many complaints are coming from
individuals.  For example, I now know of five people in our own local
community who have a problem due to having bought from a local supplier who
has since sold out and left - it would appear that he was installing the
same image on all the machines he sold!

Please see:-
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=89
- as one place "where it's coming from".

Your comments re. illegal use of software I agree with.  I'm with you in
wanting to stamp it out (though likely for different reasons!).  What I
*have* noticed over these last few weeks is a sudden awakening amongst
non-technical users locally, and the realisation that it is *not* OK simply
to copy somebody else's proprietary software!
The result of this awakening seems (rather than a stampede to the shops) to
be questions re. alternatives.......