Re: The Last Genuine Copy of Windows XP

__/ [ arachnid ] on Friday 07 July 2006 15:30 \__

> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:27:19 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 11:55 \__
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ------------
>>> When will the last genuine copy of Windows XP fail to successfully run
>>> Microsoft's ever-growing gauntlet of anti-piracy weapons? If you think
>>> about, it would seem to be just a matter of time until all copies of XP
>>> are deemed counterfeit. The only question is just how long after
>>> Windows Vista ships that day will come. -------------
>>>
>>> http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2006/6/27/0543/50236
>>>
>>> Don't like WGA?  Try Linux!
>>
>> WGA may be the biggest mistake Microsoft has ever made. Not only has
>> Microsoft lost customers' trust, but it also decided to drive
>> prospective users from poor backgrounds away.
>
> Just a wild guess... I think Microsoft didn't see Virtual Machine
> technology coming, and WGA is a panicked last-minute response to the
> possibility of millions of consumers using VM's to exercise "fair use".
> Imagine buying Vista, putting it on a VM, and being able to use that one
> copy on all of your personal computers forever after, without ever
> again having to beg Microsoft's approval for any installation.
>
> Obviously, MS can't allow this terrible thing to happen.

Interesting. I never thought about that. But the hardware probed by WGA could
remain identical. Let us just buy a tetra-core processor (unless Microsoft
charges by the core, not just the motherboard), 12 GB of RAM and set up a
gigabit connection. Then, put Vista and other licensed software on it and
instantiate sessions on that computationsal server (legal loophole). I guess
you see where this is headed... but who the hell needs XP SP III (oops.
Pardon me, Almighty Vi$ta)? Particularly with performance leaks and the
maintenance that come with it...

The above comes to show why Web services (software as a service) are the
future. Gates was too late to wake up and realise this. He wasn't potent
enough, so now he's retiring to work on cosmopolitan
<strikeout>charity</strikeout> bribery. Speaking of the rise of Google:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060706/ap_on_hi_te/ebay_s_paypal_troubles

,----[ Quote ]
| EBay Inc. faced a double blow Thursday as it announced a key
| executive's plans to leave and an analyst said Google Inc.'s new
| online payment service represents a bigger threat than expected
| to the Internet auction company's health.
`----

See my earlier thread about a senior manager leaving eBay to join an Open
Source firm. All the smart people go to Open Source companies, even if
Google is reputed for its brain drain.

Best wishes,

Programmer: a device to convert coffee beans into code (Paul Erdos slant)
  3:45pm  up 70 days 20:48,  12 users,  load average: 0.44, 1.02, 0.95