Re: [News] YouOS: Web-based Operating System

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 18:33 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> This could become interesting. Think of the imaginary Google OS
>> (Ubuntu) and the recent comment on 'Firefox OS'. This leads to
>> platform neutrality.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | YouOS is the fledgling startup of four recent college grads with a
>> | bit of angel funding. Its simplicity makes it a great demo. Anyone
>> | who logs on can instantly spot the big idea: You don't need
>> | Windows! You don't even need a PC! You can login and work from
>> | anywhere using any gadget with a screen and a keyboard.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.slate.com/id/2144896/
>
> Ah, what a relief; thanks Roy!
>
> I visited that site (Slashdot link IIRC) some time ago, but had
> completely forgotten the name and URL. Since then I've been hunting
> for it (Google et al) without success, using terms such as "Ajax OS"
> and "Operating System in a browser".
>
> Finally ...

The domain name rings a certain bell. Either way, I heard that Slate is doing
some major revision or an overhaul, or dump it altogether. I can't remember
exactly, but it hit many headlines a few days ago. Meanwhile, I noticed that
yours is gaining regular traffic at a moderate-but-high pace.

Introductions of YouOS that are available on-line (videos likely, through
YouTube, or even 'test drive' mode) are nothing new. The interface looked
rather childish the last time that I took a look. You can be sure that
Google won't stay out of this game, assuming it bears potential. Microsoft
likewise, with Live.

If all goes well, the desktop-Web-based battle might take an interesting
direction. If not, YouOS will go down the YouTube.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
  7:20pm  up 72 days  0:23,  12 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.44, 0.51