Re: [News] Linux Desktop for Only $74.99!

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 10:16 \__

> On Sunday 09 July 2006 06:57 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | iPAQ Sub-100 Desktop
>> |
>> | With your choice of Linux distribution preinstalled
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://ztechshop.net/computers/sub-100/
>
> Are these just second-hand 500Mhz boxes?

There is nothing there to say so [1]. It seems too consistent to involve
break-and-assemble and the price of labour makes it unlikely too [2].

    * CPU: Intel Celeron 500Mhz
    * Memory: 128MB Upgradable to 512MB
    * Hard Drive: 4GB
    * Network: 10/100 Fast Ethernet w/Optional external 56k modem
    * Audio: Built in sound
    * 6 USB 2.0 ports - 2 on front case
    * Depth: 10.4 in
    * Height: 13.75 in
    * Width: 5.44 in
    * Weight: ~10 lb
    * Warranty: 1 Year Warranty

[1] Notice the following: These used machines are guaranteed to function
properly. Minor blemishes or scratches may be present. If you are
unsatisfied with the purchase, the computer can be returned within 30 days
at the buyer's shipping expense.

[2] Not that I am suggesting that second-hand hardware is involved, but /if/
it were the case, this would be an excellent example of avoiding waste.
Moreover, this seems very much possible when a $100 complete laptop makes
the headlines and a brand-new machine is sold for $149.95 (with Linux) and
boasts the following specs: 2.8 GHz, 180 GB HDD, 256 MB RAM, nVidia nForce2

http://www.k-ossystems.com/cgi-bin/kart/index.php?p=productsMore&iProduct=30

Enter the age of affordable computing clusters, where software licences are
budget drains. Too many people still live in the ninetees and believe that
decent personal computers cost $1000. If it costs less, they think it's
prone to failure (or unable to run the Vista pig).