Re: [News] Another Astronomy Program for Linux

__/ [ Chris Wilkinson ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 09:55 \__

> Hi there,
>
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Here are some screenshots:
>>
>> http://www.shatters.net/celestia/gallery.html
>>
>> Not sure if it can replace kstars and the many other projects in SF.
>
> Replace? It can wipe the floor with them, although those are fine
> projects in their own right. I've used Celestia for years, and a
> guy I spoke to at the local planetarium showed us some animations
> he created using Celestia projected with a multiple video projection
> system onto the 30m dome he works with. Brilliant.

I was also thinking about Stellarium < http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/ >.
I'm just not sure, judging by the screenshots, if/how Celestia handles maps
and datasets.

Have a look: http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html