Re: [News] Another Astronomy Program for Linux

Hi there,

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ Chris Wilkinson ] on Sunday 09 July 2006 09:55 \__

Hi there,

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Here are some screenshots:

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/gallery.html

Not sure if it can replace kstars and the many other projects in SF.

Replace? It can wipe the floor with them, although those are fine projects in their own right. I've used Celestia for years, and a guy I spoke to at the local planetarium showed us some animations he created using Celestia projected with a multiple video projection system onto the 30m dome he works with. Brilliant.

I was also thinking about Stellarium < http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/ >. I'm just not sure, judging by the screenshots, if/how Celestia handles maps and datasets.

Have a look: http://stellarium.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Have got that too already, and have done so again for years. Its cool too, although different as its viewport is limited to terra firma. A 180 hemispheric projection onto the dome at the planetarium would also look very cool...I must suggest that to the dude...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
spamblocker, and replace it with  t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u