Re: Redmond Buses Recommend OpenOffice (Photos Included)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> http://thenewmarketing.com/blogs/thenewmarketing/archive/2006/07/14/103.aspx
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | They're advertising OpenOffice, a free, open-source office software suite
> | from Sun Microsystems. Other slogans include, "Stop giving a bully your
> | lunch money", "Compatible with expensive, closed, memory loving software",
> | and "Prehistoric reptilians welcome."
> `----
>
> The above is dated 2006/7/14 and it hit the Digg front page just moments
> ago). In older news:
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39236477,00.htm
>
>         French tax agency plans massive OpenOffice deployment
>
> http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/opensource/0,3800004943,39154084,00.htm
>
>         OpenOffice gets in with French taxman
>
> http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/55253
> In older news (
>         French police to switch to OpenOffice
>
> http://www.solidoffice.com/archives/295
>
>         France Adopting ODF in Massachusetts? Footsteps?
>

> Hmmm... a lot from the French? I guess they very much care for the quality of
> the product which they rapidly embrace at a notional level.

Uhhh yeah right Roy... right.

The French care about using something that is not from the U.S.  Plain
and simple as that.  Period.  Full stop.

OpenOffice is far more bloated than MS Office, consumes a LOT more
memory, doens't perform as well, has less features than MS Office, and
is a lot less polished than MS Office.

The French have clearly demonstrated that they don't care about
productivity - but rather politics.

This being France we are talking about, I'm sure you can't possibly be
surprised by this.