Re: [News] Choose Windows, Double the Cost of Your PC

On 2006-07-19, Oliver Wong <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "Linonut" <linonut@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Oliver Wong belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>     Thanks, I took a look at it last night, and from the textual
>>> description, it sounded really nice (wish there were some screenshots or
>>> something though). Unfortunately, it looked like I had to install a whole
>>> slew of other software to get this working (Python, QT, etc.) and I was
>>> just
>>> feeling lazy that night. I like just double clicking on a single
>>> installer
>>> and having it take care of everything for me. I guess my Microsoft roots
>>> are
>>> showing, huh? ;)
>>
>> Perhaps, since you don't seem to realize that distro installers will
>> download and install the dependencies for you as well.
>>
>> Pretty much as easy as a double-click, Ollie!
>
>     That works great when the software you want is available via the package
> manager of your distribution, but I'll occasionally come across software
> that I'm expected to... *shivers* compile myself!

	apt-get install libfoo.*

	Repeat as needed for whatever dangling dependencies your
compile-it-yourself software needs. A good binary packaging system
makes installing stuff from source dead simple.

	The dependencies are the only potentially hard part of course.

	While ./configure; make; make install certainly looks
intimidating, it's hardly difficult.

	...although it's all an edge case for a major distribution
anyways (Redhat, Suse, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo).

--
	Oracle... can't live with it...                          |||
                                                                / | \