Re: Bluehost down again, Orem Utah power outages?

__/ [ walt ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 10:12 \__

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:26:27 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ David Cary Hart ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 02:36 \__
>>
>>> According to their site they provide "Diesel Generator Backup Power"
>>
>> How about redundancy as a better method, also in case of destruction on
>> site? I am assuming that DNS servers can't be updated so quickly though.
>> This also requires twice the amount of resources, unless you balance the
>> loads mutually, e.g. one datacentre has a reciprocal deal with another. I
>> think I heard some very nagative about Bluehost in the past... or maybe it
>> was Dreamhost.
>
> Maybe both...
>
> Dreamhost got an "F" rating by the Better Business Bureau in the US.
> Other people have said good things about them.  Hard to know the truth
> because both companies give out very high commissions.  $65 affiliate
> commission for Bluehost and $97 for Dreamhost.
>
> Bluehost has been good so far, but these recent problems have been too
> much.  I want to know if they are just making up excuses or if there is a
> valid reason for sites/mail being down for a couple of hours at a time.
>
> If anyone has any info on power outages in Utah please post...

Hi Walt,

When you speak of outages with the context of recency, my natural instict is
going to the toolbar and do a news search that is comprehensive (local news
included) and up-to-the-hour:

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=mozclient&num=50&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&hl=en&edition=&q=utah+outage

One which I can spot is this:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=365872
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=365872&comments=true

That's the first one I looked at. I have not explored it in depth, but it
seems to suggest outages took place 2 days ago.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
 11:05am  up 2 days  0:51,  6 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.55, 0.50