Re: Bluehost down again, Orem Utah power outages?

  • Subject: Re: Bluehost down again, Orem Utah power outages?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:26:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ David Cary Hart ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 02:36 \__

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:04:22 -0400, walt <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> opined:
>> Bluehost is on its second major server downtime in a week.
>>
>> I was told that it is due to power outages in Orem, Utah, and that
>> the backup generators "failed".  There was also a problem with the
>> mail server yesterday.
>>
>> I'm trying to verify if what they are telling me is true.
>>
>> Is there anyone in Utah that knows about power outages in Orem?  I
>> can't find any information online about it.
>>
>> I was told that this problem is affecting about 30% of their
>> servers but I've just checked about 6 or 7 Bluehost sites on
>> different accounts and all are down.
>>
>> Does anyone have any additional info on the Bluehost situation?
>
> According to their site they provide "Diesel Generator Backup Power"

How about redundancy as a better method, also in case of destruction on site?
I am assuming that DNS servers can't be updated so quickly though. This also
requires twice the amount of resources, unless you balance the loads
mutually, e.g. one datacentre has a reciprocal deal with another. I think I
heard some very nagative about Bluehost in the past... or maybe it was
Dreamhost.