Re: Linux developers exceed in numbers above Windoze developers

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 03:46 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>>> The only problem is, what kind of developers?  Systems?  Apps?
>>> Web?  Script kiddies?
>>
>> For  what it's worth, I read that somewhere as well. I can't
>> recall  how  it was counted, but an argument was made  which
>> implied  that  Linux  developers outnumber  or  _will  soon_
>> outnumber  Windows developers. The place where I read it was
>> reliable. It wasn't a podcast.
>
> Well, the Linux tools are certainly cheaper than Windows tools, even
> counting the cost-free Windows tools.

Shareware  is not Free. It's free and buggy. Bugs you cannot
fix and projects you cannot harness, either.

> You know what the Win-wags say about Linux, of course
>
>    <whine>
>       It's only free if your time is worth nothing.
>    </whine>

Winvocates  live in an isolated world where everyone appears
to be mastering .Net and so-called 'mainstream' technologies
such  as  that. In reality, there is more to the world  than
just the States. The number of projects in fm.net and sf.net
are  an  indication  of  how broad  OSS  has  become.  Among
professionals  and  learners  alike. The number  is  verging
100,000 the last time I checked and since plenty of projects
rely  on re-use, they are far more extensive and  thoroughly
tested than freeware and shareware.

> Well, that goes double for Windows, where you spend a fair amount of
> time wrestling with Microsoft's idea of what constitutes development,
> instead of writing code and building it (and on multiple platforms at
> that!)

With  Windows,  you  are overly occupied with  the  need  to
re-invent  the  wheel.  You may be getting paid  merely  for
chasing  your  tail.  Try  testing  so  many  off-the-ground
projects  and end up with something shoddy and fragile  like
the Windows kernel and the old (pre-X) Mac kernel.