Re: LinuxElectrons Daily Digest

  • Subject: Re: LinuxElectrons Daily Digest
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 03:05:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Linonut ] on Monday 17 July 2006 21:19 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ian Hilliard belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> ByteEnable wrote:
>>
>>> Title: NewsForge: Linus Torvalds doesn't matter!?!
>>> Author: Tommy
>>> Date: Sunday, July 16 2006 @ 10:08 AM CDT
>>>
>>> When I came across the news yesterday, I couldn't believe my eyes. But
>>> there it was, in pixels, plain as day. A story on CNN reporting that
>>> Linus Torvalds, creator of Linux, the most disruptive technology of the
>>> past 100 years, just doesn't matter anymore.
>>>
>>> Read the full article at
>>> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060716100817649
>>
>> Another article written by a journo without a clue. The cool stuff that
>> people see, may be outside, but without a stable kernel, it would just be
>> another Windows. Linus still very important as he keeps some semblance of
>> order, where it matters most, in the core of the OS.

Linus  recently  said  that he is primarily  concerned  with
communication  nowadays.  I  wonder if  anybody  caught  the
SourceForge  article (which was pure humour). It was a  fake
interview with Linus -- that which discusses his redundancy.
I thought it was too infantile, personally.

> And Ballmer (MS) and Schwartz (Sun) are also in that list, as is
> SlashDot and NetFlix.  Vonage.  Sony.  HD-DVD.

Big names make good articles. Had they said that John Bloggs
from Bankruptcy Coporation no longer matters, this would not
stir up a discussion (and promote inbound links).

> But Ian is right, the article is clueless:
>
>    It's a testament to the success of Torvalds's open-source ideas that
>    he's on this list at all. His Linux operating system is fast, cheap,
>    and out of control - and that's entirely by design. While Torvalds
>    still oversees any changes made to the innermost core of Linux, most
>    of the innovation is now done by others, and commercial businesses
>    like Red Hat and Novell increasingly steer its future. Although he
>    can claim credit for popularizing one of the most powerful ideas ever
>    to sweep through the software industry, Torvalds's project has
>    matured to such an extent that it's largely outgrown its illustrious
>    creator.
>
> Bullshit.  It will be true one day, but not this day.

To  be fair, patches are submitted from so many  directions.
It's  only  the patchmaster (now Morton) that commits  them.
The  patches  come from Red Hat, SUSE/Novell,  Oracle,  IBM,
etc.  Have a look at a recent digest and you will see what I
mean.  Linus' role has become somewhat political because his
kernel  became  so popular that it is  now  self-sustaining.
It's  a good thing though. You see this in other large FLOSS
projects  that  become community driven, rather than a  solo
project of the lead developer.

Best wishes,

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 129 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie