Re: [News] Free Design Suite from Xilinx is Linux-friendly

__/ [ 7 ] on Monday 17 July 2006 19:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Xilinx Releases ISE WebPACK 8.2i - Free Design Suite
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | ISE WebPACK 8.2i also includes ISE Simulator Lite on Linux providing
>> | Xilinx users with a free HDL simulator. By providing support for Red
>> | Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4, Xilinx has combined the low-cost benefits
>> | of the ISE design environment with the fastest-growing EDA design
>> | platform. Linux is recognized as a stable, low-cost, high-performance
>> | alternative to other higher cost development environments and allows
>> | designers to maximize corporate resources. Xilinx now augments the
>> | industry's lowest-cost and lowest-power FPGA and CPLD solutions with
>> | the most extensive front-to-back Linux support of any major PLD vendor.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20060717100312167
>>
>> PS - sorry about the two [Mews] tags beforehand. My small screen fonts
>> make it almost impossible to spot this common typo.
>

> Thanks Roy, this has got me buzzing...

Glad you liked it, 7. I have got some special 'feelings' -- shall we call
them -- for the Xilinx boards. I spent almost two year with them as an
undergraduate, designing something as advanced as a calculator at gate
level. In the summer of 2002 I was employed to work on a GPL'd project that
served as a debugging front-end (GTK) for the Xilinx board with an ARM
processor. This was used for educational purposes. At the time, I believe
these boards that got sent from Australia cost about a thousand pounds a
piece. Quite outrageous at the time, so it's nice to find affordability.

PPS - I'll just copy and paste "[News] " from now on. This will prevent me
from having typos in the tags. The trolls are miserable opportunists, using
that, as well as JDS, as an excuse to whine.