Re: Another Advantage of Open Source: Localisation

__/ [ JEDIDIAH ] on Monday 17 July 2006 14:36 \__

> On 2006-07-15, Bob Hauck <postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:19:53 +0200, Sandman <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, but why would you want to do that? Different locales for different
>>> users I get, but for different applications in the same login? Why?
>>
>> Maybe the user is a linguist.
>
> ...or just speaks more than one language. Anyone that speaks more
> than one language on a regular basis could quite easily have reason to
> have different apps running in different languages at once. Using IM to
> talk to mother in the native language while doing work in english is not a
> paricularly far stretch really.
>
> One might even want to have multiple languages in the same
> instance of gaim (or firefox) depending on whom you happen to  be chatting
> with at that particular moment.

Having  forks of an existing O/S is the far worse  solution,
e.g.  Windows  'enabled',  for  various  foreign  languages.
Foreigners  may  very  well know the  inconvenient  scenario
which involves trying to get hold of an O/S with the full or
partial  support  for one given language. Moreover, not  all
applications come in a variety of languages, accommodate for
multi-linguist  documentation projects (screenshots or  menu
names,  for  example),  and correspond  to  one's  preferred
language  for  a  given application  (jargon,  for  example,
springs to mind).

I  have found the image I was earlier referring to. It's  in
the main kde.org site (just 1 or 2 levels down):

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/images/3.5/34-languages.png

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
Tasks: 131 total,   2 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie