Re: [News] Why Everyone Should Have a (Novell) Linux Desktop

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Q&A: New Novell CEO in all-out Linux push
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Both executives gave some insights on Novell's strategy to use the
>| majority of its resources - support, marketing, sales, product
>| development and some $1.4 billion in cash reserves - to become a
>| full-fledged Linux company. The CEO and CTO also talked about why
>| everyone should have a Linux desktop pilot running.
> `----
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/071006-novell-execs.html

<quote>

	So to that we did a careful market segmentation of all
	desktops. We discovered that one-third of desktops are the
	corporate knowledge workers, who live in five applications: Web,
	e-mail, presentation graphics, word processing and spreadsheet. If
	we just focus on those five, we think we can do an excellent job
	for that networked client. So, we have OpenOffice 2.0, shipping
	with the desktop, which is miles beyond OpenOffice 1.0. In terms
	of e-mail, we have interoperability with Microsoft Outlook and
	Lotus Notes and Active Directory. So it's really living in that
	full network world.

</quote>

That rather sums this whole desktop game up for me.  1/3 of desktops
could be handled with an Ubuntu liveCD!  There's such a huge possibility
here to get off the MS treadmill, leave lock-in behind, and move to
non-proprietary, virus-free, reliable, open computing.  The only
question is do you go with a 3rd-party to implement and support, or do
you do it in-house?

One of the disadvantages of having children is that they eventually get old
enough to give you presents they make at school.
		-- Robert Byrne