Re: SLED Rocks!!

news:1791967.eMSD6qz1Mo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The new era will be reached when perceptions in the public mind change.
> Desktop Linux has been ready for ages, only to be hindered by stubborn
> proprietary software and hardware that snub Linux.

Linux has come along way in the past five years, but I would still have
doubts on forcing it onto a non-computer literate friend.

Last night my ISP sent me a static IP address with an instruction manual on
how to set up my computer (for MAC and Windows users) which seemed to be
only a 5 minute job of changing network settings in the Control Panel.

As usual, Linux is not so easy. GUI Yast kept crashing so I reverted to CLI
yast. The information I needed to enter, gaterways, IP address, DNS etc all
appear on different pages. Yast then complained that it need to install new
software, which it couldn't do as it didn't have a network connection. As I
was searching for my source disks I noticed that the transfer light on the
router was flashing away and that Linux had decided it no longer needed the
new software and was happy to connect.

No major problems, but what looked like a 5 minute task in Windows/MAC
turned into a 30minute headscratch in Linux. I wouldn't want to put someone
without any computer background into a Linux environment to perform minor
tasks such as this.

Sure, the desktop is fine, but I do find myself spending more time on the
command line than in the desktop.

//Clive.