Re: Windows 98: Microsoft Shoots Own Foot, Linux to Gain

  • Subject: Re: Windows 98: Microsoft Shoots Own Foot, Linux to Gain
  • From: "Chirag Shukla" <chiragshuklaindia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 11 Jul 2006 21:14:48 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Samwise Gangee wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 July 2006 14:59, Erik Funkenbusch
> <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (<10uddaw0icz7y.dlg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:08:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> Microsoft Is Shooting Itself In The Foot, Again
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >>
> > So, when was the last time a patch was released for Red Hat 4?  Suse 3?
> > Mandrake 5?
>
> When was the last time Microsoft offered a free upgrade to any of its
> discontinued but continuously virus- and worm-vulnerable operating systems?
> Free hint: never.
>
> When was the last time you couldn't download a free version of Red Hat or
> Fedora Core or SuSE or Mandrake or Slackware or Gentoo or Debian or Ubuntu?
> Free hint!
>
> > Windows 98 is 8 years old.  No linux vendor is still supporting systems
> > they sold that long ago.
>
> No Linux vendor has ever put billions in its own bank account and billions
> more into the bank accounts of the principals of its illegally maintained
> monopoly.  Is there some reason Microsoft couldn't disgorge ten million
> dollars of its ill-gotten gains to help support its victims?

Dont know what the hype about MS not supporting Windows 98 is all
about. If I developed a significant piece of software on either Windows
or Linux that earned me big money, I wouldnt support it till I die. All
software have bugs here and there. I'd stop support some place anyhow.
I would agree with Midget that on Linux one has an opportunity to open
up the code and upgrade it whereas with closed OSes, there remains
little chance of doing that. But 8 years are too long. If I had a 8
year old Linux (assuming I paid for it), I'd dump it for another one
rather than investing time in searching through its code for
upgradation/fixes. I just dont see the demise of Windows 98's support a
gain for Linux. Just a few days back one couple dumped Windows 98 (old
idiotic PC) for a brand new one loaded with XP. When I asked them if
they thought of other OSes than XP, they said they are happy with what
they get preloaded. After advocating quite a bit in US and India, I
just dont see people sticking to Linux.