Re: Need help with Booting from cd in Powermac 9600/300

On 2006-07-12, Soldier <3x3cut4b13@xxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Soldier ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 01:09 \__
>>
>> [resent; server does not show previous posting attempt]

>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/53627-new-linux-triyng-boot-mac-live-cd.html

>> > Oh and also when i hold c nothing happens......i see in the startup
>> > process the little icons in the bottom and the cd drive icon is crossed
>> > out and it still just the normal mac os 9.....Please help and
>> > respond.Thank you.
>>
>> To quote something I could find (have you searched the Web _at all_?)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | System

>> | the
>> |
>> | Are you saying that you want to change the boot device without touching the
>> | computer? How is the computer going to know what device you feel like
>> | booting
>> | unless you tell it?
>> |
>> | Anyway, pressing "ALT" in boot-up will show you a graphical sccreen of
>> | bootable
>> | devices that you can select from.
>> `----
>>
>> I only used OS 9 between 2002 and 2004. Never booted from a CD, but I also
>> know that this PowerPC version of Knoppix might require a different mouse.
>> There was a thread about this in the past. Same newsgroup.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
>> http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>>   1:25am  up 75 days  6:28,  10 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.75, 0.87
>>       http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
>

> You know pressing alt button on the startup screen didnt open a
> graphical screen......i pressed it right when it turned on.

This is an old machine. The best I've been able to piece together isn't
much at all. It appears, according to a couple of places I found, you
need certain system files on the CD in order for it to boot. The Ubuntu
CDs probably don't have those because newer systems don't need them.
(Just a hunch on my part since I couldn't exactly find out what those
needed system files are.)

You should probably ask in an appropriate place. Like somewhere that
has a lot of Mac users, some of whom were probably using machines of
that era when they were new.

I'd steer clear of the Mac advocacy group, though. There are a few real
zinger retardos there. they'll try to tell you linux doesn't have any
applications, or attempt to get you to buy a new Mactel doorstop, or
even work on trying to get you to drink some of the koolaid.

But there are still a few Mac groups under the comp.sys.mac.* area.

--
Buy microsoft products. It's not like you needed that money or those
rights anyway.