Re: [News] Poll Determines: Microsoft's WGA is Spyware

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 11 Jul 2006 03:28:03 +0100
> <1935158.S94QcsyLHy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Microsoft WGA is spyware according to poll
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | At least that's the general consensus of the latest iTWire poll. The
>> | poll asked the question: "Is the Windows Genuine Advantage program
>> | spyware?" Of the respondents over a 24 hour period 83% answered yes
>> | 17% answered no.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4915/53/
>>
>> Jim's reason for wiping his Windows partition for good. More people
>> should learn from him...
>
> Would be nice.  But does the Average Joe know what the term "spyware"
> really means?
>
> Even I'm not all that clear on the concept, although part of that is
> because the browser is an accessory.  Who's *running* the spyware,
> after all?
>
> It's not the OS, at least at this level (though with IE the line gets a
> little blurry :-) ).

I came up with a blanket term for all this spyware, adware, trojanware, etc.
I call it Microsoft Windowsware. 'Cos you know what? I haven't seen any of
that shit on Linux yet!
Still at a boggle with the raw SPEED of this laptop - wondering why it isn't
slowing down after the small patch download it suddenly had a mild fit over
yesterday. It's like... yeah. I could get used to this: a computer that
requires little to zero maintenance in everyday desktop use.

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk