Re: [News] Microsoft Nicks Code for ODF Translator from LGPL Project

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:10:18 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The Open Source philosophy says that the code is there for others to use it
> without a sense of obligations or guilt. Others can exploit it, so long as
> derivative work benefits others by being public, as well as legally
> modifiable and redistributable. But here Microsoft locks and bolts down the
> code using dirty licensing tricks. And... not only that!

Tell me, exactly, how it is that Microsoft is doing that.

First, Microsoft doesn't even own the code.  They didn't post it, or write
it, and they don't claim copyright on it.  The project itself isn't owned
by Microsoft either, though they do provide financial support for it.

Second, the license it's being released under is BSD.  How is Microsoft
(who, i just mentioned isn't licensing it anyways) "locking it up"?  The
BSD license is a Free software license.