Re: The Way We Were

  • Subject: Re: The Way We Were
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:33:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 14:55 \__

> William Poaster wrote:
>

>> Hmm..
>> "Microsoft is urging an estimated 70 million users of Windows 98 to
>> upgrade as it ends support for the software."
>> [==]
>> "The firm will also stop providing security updates for Windows 98 from
>> the same date."
>>
>> So it's trying to force 98 users to "upgrade" to a newer windoze. Now who
>> was it said "A windows upgrade, is NO upgrade at all"....
>
> And upgrading OS from Win98 to XP involves buying new hardware.  If
> you're the hypothetical grandmother, using your computer for email,
> browsing, and looking at photos of your grandchildren, you don't /need/
> a new computer.  Oh, sorry, you do need a new computer.  Cos Bill Gates
> says so.

This has actually just been mentioned, but not only does this involve the
purchasing of new hardware. It also involved obtaining a Windows XP licence
(possibly OEM), which is later to be topped up (completely replaced rather)
by another, for Vista. Windows XP is vulnerable and will remain vulnerable,
much like its third Service Pack (Vista), which introduce little change.
This means that, in this case -- grandma [1,2], will need her husband,
friends, children or grandchildren to do all sorts of
maintenance/'fixing'/reinstallation tasks whenever they visit. In due
course, they will not be visiting as often, due to the dreadful tasks that
entail (I know the appalling experience of having to help my parents
whenever I visit).

And speaking of Vista, various reviews have named SLED 10 the winner in the
like-with-like comparison against Vista.

[1] Bad example to use: http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000726.html

[2] http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/linuxbeat3.htm

        ( Building a Linux System Even Your Grandmother Could Use )

>> "However, protests from many developing regions of the world where, at
>> that time, the software was widely used prompted Microsoft to reverse its
>> decision."
>>
>> So what's changed? IMO it's because a lot of these "developing regions of
>> the world" have gradually changed to linux thus negating any need for
>> windoze. Those that haven't yet changed, may be prompted to do so by this
>> latest action of the Beast of Redmond.

Don't worry. Developing nations hold the key to Linux adoption. India is
slowly embracing ODF, which will drive it towards OpenOffice and less
expensive IT solution. IBM and RHAT are helping that push, too. In Africa
and America you have the OLPC project, which is due to expand exponentially
next year and deliver hundreds of millions of Linux laptops (customised
Fedora for low energy consumption and coarser resolution).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  3:20pm  up 74 days 20:23,  11 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.97, 1.33