Re: Who the fuck is this Roy Schestowitz person?

  • Subject: Re: Who the fuck is this Roy Schestowitz person?
  • From: Black Dragon <bd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:26:01 -0400 (EDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:45:48 -0400, Black Dragon wrote:

>> Ask a question, get an answer you can't refute, then claim it's "contentless
>> drivel"?

> This is all about xna, right?

I was about Roy S. <shrug>

> Strikes me there's no legitimate reason for xna.

Your opinion is noted.

The people at DejaNews originally, then Google, obviously have a different
opinion. If they didn't think there wasn't a need for it, the option would
likely not have been made available.

> First, a news server is,
> as far as I'm aware, under no obligation to honor it.  Second, even if you
> think they are honoring it, you can't really be sure unless you work for
> them; they may well have it archived and simply not display it.  Third,
> others will merrily archive such posts, regardless of the xna flag.

The only place I'm aware of that honors the XNA flag is Google Groups.

Google Groups isn't a news server, it's a poorly designed web interface
for searching an archive.

> Also, this bit about google is a bit pointless, since they're hardly the
> only news server the messages get fed through - any of which could ignore
> the xna flag.

The only place I'm aware of that honors the XNA flag is Google Groups.

> So, in the end, there's no real reason for xna... except the vain hope
> nobody will remember what you said and be able to check it later.  Or, to
> put it bluntly, because one is full of crap and doesn't want it recorded.

That leads to another reason people use XNA. Over time, people often
change how they think about things. They change their opinions, they
change their position on hot issues, they change their personal
preferences, etc, all via life's every day experiences and more relevant
to this topic, from discussion on Usenet.

There are people on Usenet that for example will go back and retrieve
something posted five years ago that contradicts what a person said
yesterday and call them liars, or tell them they are full of crap, all
because human nature and free will caused them to change their position
on something.

Some people use xna to try to help avoid those situations.

> Strikes me that if you don't want your words recorded, the only effective
> way to accomplish it is not post them at all.

Indeed.

And I'll say it again;
The only place I'm aware of that honors the XNA flag is Google Groups.

Notice a pattern yet?

--
Black Dragon

Q:	What's black and white and red all over?
A:	Half a nun.