Re: [news] Fedora Launches Women's Community

begin  oe_protect.scr
<snip>

> Now, I'm not in favor of giving /advantage/ to anyone who is
> not  a middle-aged white male. However, there often needs to
> be  some  encouragement.  It's  rare to see  women  in  some
> mailing  lists  I'm subsribed to (Web-  and  design-oriented
> fields  seem  to  attract  more of them)  and  I  think  the
> ambiguity  in text often leads to misinterpretation (sexism,
> elitism and so forth). I, for one, am extremely happy when I
> see   women   posters.  Everyone  benefits  from   equality,
> diversity and a discussion with augmented point of views.

Whilst it would suit a lot of people to claim that males and females are
kind of the same, they're not...  They really are attracted to different
things, and approach so many tasks and activities in very different ways
from each other.  Unfortunately, I often see terms like "diversity" used
when attempting to promote pro-female agenda, which isn't ideal.

I can see that female communities in technical environments could be
very valuable to those females which are active in these predominantly
male environments.

I can also see that there's a good marketing opportunity for Red Hat
here...

As for equality?  Well, I'd love to see it, but I doubt I'll see it in
my lifetime.  Did you notice this week that the Child Support Agency is
being dropped (the agency which caused a huge number of divorces in its
early days), and will be replaced with Bailiffs, so that guys who are
being prevented from seeing their children by wives who've left them
(because they felt like it, which is all you need to do now) will lose
the /only/ leverage they have to see their kids?  Worse, they'll be
*tagged* as well, so that they can't go out in the evening.  Equality?
we have no such thing here.

I don't know why we don't just lock up our young men for 5 years, on the
basis that they're likely to be accused of rape at some point[1], and then
tax them at an additional 40%, and give the money to females, on the
basis that *most* of them will be divorced and will be paying alimony at
about that rate when they're older, and will be prevented from seeing
their children.

Then, at least they could get on with the rest of their lives.

Yeah, I'd love to see some equality.

Note[1]:  as things stand, a drunk /male/ is held responsible for his
actions, whereas a drunk /female/ is considered to be not responsible
for her actions - equality?  Nope.

If any of you have male children - be very worried for them.

"A child is a person who can't understand why someone would give away a
perfectly good kitten."
-- Doug Larson