Re: [news] Fedora Launches Women's Community

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 16:39 \__

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2005/12/18/in_computer_science_a_growing_gender_gap/?page=1

>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Women shunning a field once seen as welcoming
>> |
>> | As a young high school teacher in 1982, Diane Souvaine leapt into
>> | graduate school for computer science having taken only one class in
>> | the subject...
>> `----
>
>     Thanks for the interesting article. I think there's a lot of unresolved
> and controversial questions about why there aren't as many women as men in
> computer science, and until we figured out the "why", we can hardly start
> to think about how to solve this problem (or if it is indeed even a
> problem!) Given how controversial this topic can get, I'm too cowardly to
> take the first step any deeper into these issues. So I'll leave it at that
> for now.

Like  you,  I try not to speak about it all that often.  One
small  verbal slip and you'll be attacked for ambiguity that
can be perceived as discriminatory or stereotypical.

>> Now, I'm not in favor of giving /advantage/ to anyone who is
>> not  a middle-aged white male. However, there often needs to
>> be  some  encouragement.  It's  rare to see  women  in  some
>> mailing  lists  I'm subsribed to (Web-  and  design-oriented
>> fields  seem  to  attract  more of them)  and  I  think  the
>> ambiguity  in text often leads to misinterpretation (sexism,
>> elitism and so forth). I, for one, am extremely happy when I
>> see   women   posters.  Everyone  benefits  from   equality,
>> diversity and a discussion with augmented point of views.
>
>     I think most people feel the way you do, Roy. There was this female
> poster in a comp.lang.java.* group, and eventually the topic of a thread
> shifted to what it was like being one of the only women in the groups. I
> can't find the original post in google groups, but she essentially said she
> was generally treated very well, and she suspects in fact that she was
> receiving preferential treatment, being one of the rare female posters, and
> nobody wanted her to leave.

I  can  think of similar examples in the search engines  and
webmasters newsgroups (the primary ones). The ladies receive
a  lot of attention. Same in some mailing lists. Then again,
there  opinion  is  often  discredited  or  looked  at  with
suspicion  and prejudice. There tends to be this mixture  of
those who are adamant sexists and those are liberal-minded.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie