Re: [News] Nearly All Windows Boxes are SPAM Zombies

__/ [ Linonut ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:01 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-6098447.html?part=rss&tag=6098447&subj=news

>> Windows should be illegalised.
>
> The article starts out badly, though:
>
>     Less than 1 percent of systems that send e-mail can be deemed a good
>     citizen of the Internet, according to Return Path, a company that
>     compiles e-mail reputation data. Return Path collects data on 20
>     million Internet Protocol addresses that send e-mail, the company
>     said Tuesday.
>
> I doubt that is correct, and I doubt that the systems are all Windows
> zombies.  They later say that spam is 75% of all messages, and 25% of
> legitimate mail gets blocked.
>
> Sounds almost like an advert.

See the right hand side. They advertise Windows; Rather than
blame it for all the trouble described in the article...

Best wishes,

Roy

PS  -  Like you, I think the statistics in this article  are
terribly  explained. It makes it meaningless and  laughable.
But  nonetheless, the figures that pertain to proportions of
SPAM  are read. Then come to consider the fact that  without
mailing  lists and newsletters, SPAM would possibly  account
for 85% of all mail traffic.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
  4:20pm  up 6 days  4:35,  9 users,  load average: 1.14, 0.65, 0.71