Re: Linux for Privacy

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:53 \__

> Interersting blog.  It was the privacy issue, including control over
> his machine, that pushed him away from Microsoft.  Not their business
> practices, not the security headaches.

...Also not stability, reliability/dependability, or functionality.

I was very surprised myself, which is why I chose this subject line. Jim
Moore from this group also seems to have found privacy (or lack thereof) the
major deterrent. Maybe it has an aspect to it which is tied to
individuality, or even paranoia. Some people keep 'unclean' stuff on their
computer/s, e.g. dishonest documents.

Even statistics on use -- these which Microsoft's MSN will want for
/taregetted advertisement/ -- lead to conflicting interests (like in Windows
security/OneCare, being a mind-boggling tradeoff).

> In the modern world everyone compromises on privacy.  If you want to
> get rather large discounts at my grocery store, you have to get a card.
>  It's free, but it means that they track your spending habits and keep
> you on a database somewhere.  Don't like it?  Pay 20% extra.

Have a look:

,----[ Quote ]
| ...One day, Expedia could start offering higher fares to customers who
| have more than a million dollars in their Investor stock portfolio.
| There's not really anything technically impossible about this, and
| it's probably legal, too...
|
| ...The scary thing is that if you use Internet Explorer, Microsoft
| controls your web browser...

Right from the mouth of a former Excel Project Manager.

Also see the more recent article.

,----[ Quote ]
| AdCenter uses information from customers who registered for services such
| as Hotmail or who tailored the MSN home page to their interests. It
| supplements that with data purchased from the Experian credit bureau.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002210022_microsoftads17.html/

Lastly:

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/30/1329229

> Most people, however, don't understand how much of their privacy is
> already gone, or how fast the world is changing in that respect, due to
> technological developments, so they don't mind it too much.  This kind
> of attitude works in Microsoft's behalf, as they implement DRM, WGA,
> etc.

Has somebody else read or heard about Google's controversial paper, which
explains how microphone input can be used to learn about the computer user
(e.g. TV in the background) and in turn deliver targetted ads? Scary!

> I recently read an article in the IEEE Spectrum (June, 2006) on DRM.
> It is really horrible.  Basically Hollywood is going to see to it that
> every electronic device manufactured that connects to a monitor or has
> speakers also has DRM hardware to intercept the signal and make sure
> that it is DRM approved.  And they will make it illegal to build or
> code any device that circumvents this, including simple A2D converters.
>  And they have a whole host of even more horrible schemes in the works.
>  And they have already succeeded in having laws passed in their favor
> in most of the major countries of the world.

DRM? Not in my house. Probably not in yours, either. But what about our loved
ones who will be ignorantly wooed (passively) into this trap?

> This isn't specifically a Linux issue, except that if there's any place
> these policies can be challenged in practice, it's with a FOSS system.
> I do think it's a topic that should be of interest to anyone involved
> in FOSS.

DRM is a miserable attempt not only to manipulate the customer in
disrespectful fashion, but also to sabotage attempts of the competition
(primarily FLOSS) to achieve the inevitable.

> After reading the article, I'm tempted to get a nice TV card (without
> DRM) for one of my Linux systems, before they become illegal.

I no longer watch TV. I am glad I made this decision a few years ago.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<
  4:05pm  up 6 days  4:20,  9 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.83, 0.98