Re: Which Linux flavor to use on a laptop?

  • Subject: Re: Which Linux flavor to use on a laptop?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:08:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:40 \__

> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:28 Brad wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 03:34:50 -0700, msargent100 wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop Sony Viao PCG-GRV670 (Intel 2.6ghz P4 w/1gb memory and
>>> 60gb partition on a 120gb hard drive) that I would like to configure
>>> with Linux. But since I am new to Linux, I'm not too sure which flavor
>>> of Linux would be best.
>>>
>>> I want to do a little bit of Linux investigation. I do some basic
>>> programming and scripting. I also have a home network with a few other
>>> PC w/MS Windoz and one Sun Blade 150 w/Solaris 10 loaded.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations on which distribution to use?

SLED  10 if you are willing to pay for an excellent  product
and  constant  support. Otherwise, go for SUSE 10.1.  The  5
ISO's are free to download. Ubuntu might need some tinkering
(i.e.  check some boxes, then press OK) to have  programming
tools installed. Seek technical newsgroups for  more  advice
and opinions... that's what I would do if I were in your sh-
oes...

>> Hi Mike,
>> I have used Mandriva on a laptop. It has a few utilities for Sony laptops
>> that help with hardware compatability.
>> http://www.mandriva.com
>>
>> I have also read of some good success stories with users using Suse and
>> Ubuntu/Kubuntu. This is not to say that other distro's wouldn't work with
>> a laptop, but these are 3 of the most popular distro's and all offer good
>> community level support with Mandriva and Suse offering paid for support
>> as well.
>
> All good stuff, but I think that we ought always to add 7's favourite topic
> here:_
>
> If at all possible, ALWAYS try the LiveCD(/DVD) first!

If one is available. *smile*

If  you burn it yourself, might as well just go for the real
thing...  Just  make sure you install it on a fresh,  vacant
partition.  To  OP: keep Windows until you feel  comfortable
with  everything  and  Linux  and  know  the   corresponding
applications (don't be bold and take The Dive). Linux is not
free Windows. It's not Windows either. You will have a short
learning  curve,  which to a programmer should be  minor  to
adapt to.