Re: Exploits Emerge for Recently-Plugged Critical Windows Vulnerabilities

  • Subject: Re: Exploits Emerge for Recently-Plugged Critical Windows Vulnerabilities
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:17:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ William Poaster ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 23:37 \__

> It was on Tue, 25 Jul 2006 23:07:08 +0100, that Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Stuart Krivis <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Nah, it will be just like all MS products where they promise a lot and
>>> never deliver. So they'll tell people the security is just peachy now,
>>> and Windows is sold by pre-loads anyway, so the average user will just
>>> get stuck with it.
>>>
>>> One improvement you can almost count on though is that product
>>> actviation, WGA, and DRM will be even more restrictive and intrusive.
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>

>> You know, I don't think this is going to fly any more.  I think that XP
>> was Microsoft's last chance to get it /wrong/, Vista really needed to be
>> right, but the public at large probably do not comprehend what an
>> enormous task it would be to fix Windows.  I'd rather pilot the Titanic,
>> I think...
>
> Talking about fixing windows, I just came across this! <grin>
> http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060725

*LOL*  I  saw that too. I began syndicating  these  cartoons
last month. Have a load of /this/:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060720

Change   "monitor  resolution"  to  "Microsoft  Windows"  or
"Internet  Explorer".  Then, have a look at the  controversy
that  surrounds Microsoft's new site design. Microsoft  have
recently  dragged  partners (e.g. MTV/Urge) into  that  same
train.  Make it hard for users to use alternatives and maybe
they will give up.

This reminds me of my attempt to convert a friend to Firefox
some time ago. I left him there working happily with Firefox
(Brushed  themed)  and later he returned and said that  some
CNN  feature did not work. "It's better to have half a  loaf
then  no loaf at all", he told me and then returned to using
Internet  Explorer. Microsoft plays a dangerous games as  it
patronises  Web  standards  and spreads  its  own  'cancer',
deliberately.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: penguins are the greatest birds
Swap:  1036184k total,   301252k used,   734932k free,   114936k cached