Re: Who Owns Your Computer?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/30/1329229
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "For the last two weeks, Microsoft has been in talks to buy
> | Claria, an adware marketer formerly called Gator, and best known
> | for its pop-up ads and software that tracks people visiting Web
> | sites..."
> `----

Wow! I haven't been keeping tabs on /. for a while, so I missed that.

I realise that MS have no qualms about deploying Spyware by stealth
(WGA), for the purposes of draconian control, but I had no idea they
were planning a brazen full assault of Spyware-driven data harvesting,
for marketing purposes.

The first, last and only time I ever encountered "Gator" was in an
earlier release of "GetRight". It was Malware then and it's Malware
now, which is why the GetRight developer rejected it (and all other
forms of Malware) in subsequent releases of GetRight.

http://www.getright.com/statement.html

And in particular:

http://www.getright.com/ad_history.html (version 4.5e).

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 01:02:48 up 38 days,  1:19,  3 users,  load average: 1.35, 1.47, 1.31