Re: New Videos Guide Users on Dual-boot

  • Subject: Re: New Videos Guide Users on Dual-boot
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 23:22:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:19:47 -0700, gagnonrchrd wrote:

> B Gruff wrote:
>> On Friday 21 July 2006 11:41 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> > Dual-booting Windows and Linux the easy way (Linux.com videos)
>> >
>> > An excellent step-by-step videos-based guide. There is no longer a reason
>> > to have any machine in the house/office which is Windows-only.
>> >
>> >                 http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/20/1654251
>>
>> Not just that.
>> Couple this with the Gparted page:-
>>
>> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> - and I reckon that even my remote Windows friends (using the live CD) will
>> have a superb replacement for Partition Magic, free, and yet another
>> introduction to FOSS?
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Thanks for the replies but I have tried Partition Magic 8.0 and Qparted
> and both ask me questions I have no answer for. I will live with what I
> have. I am only a user and I will never be able to understand
> partitioning. I know my limitations.

It's really not so hard, believe me. I've done it many times. The best way
is to use your chosen distros in-built partition tool (assuming it has
one). Mandriva is particularly good for this, since the partitioner has a
very good GUI, and is quite straight-forward to use.

When dual-booting, I find it best to have two separate drives, one for
Windows, one for Linux. Less room for making a mistake you'll have a hard
to recovering from. Partition for root (say five or six gigs, or a little
more if you like), a gig for swap, and the rest for /home. Go for the
default file system - it's usually ext3 or reiser - and away you go.

--
Kier