Re: Even the Builders of Windows Find Tech Support a Challenge

  • Subject: Re: Even the Builders of Windows Find Tech Support a Challenge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:24:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 16:38 \__

> Quote:
> ---------------
> According to Allchin, Ballmer spent the better part of the next two
> days trying to rid this PC of worms, viruses, spyware, malware, severe
> fragmentation, and well, you name it. ... Allchin says Ballmer
> eventually gave up and instead lugged the machine back to Microsoft's
> Redmond, Wash. campus. There, several engineers spent several days,
> burrowing deep into the system to figure out the problem. ...
>
> It turns out there were more than a hundred pieces of malware of
> various types. Things that these engineers using Microsoft's own
> private tools could not ferret out and fix.... It took a team of
> engineers to restore this system to health. And it was a real wake-up
> call. "This really opened our eyes to what goes on in the real world,"
> says Allchin....Even so, it's my belief that Windows is still a long
> way from being a safe, protective, self-healing, impenetrable
> environment that assures top-level performance at all times. -
> http://www.itworld.com/Man/2676/nls_solutinons_vista060525/index.html

OMG. This sure is embarrassing. It shatters all claims that people who know
their way around the computer (Windows OS in particular) are not vulnerable
to the common ills that have become so inherent. Given Ballmer's wage, I am
surprised (if not utterly shocked) that he didn't slam the computer against
the wall, followed by a violent lynch of some fine furtiture.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
  5:20pm  up 34 days 23:52,  9 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.50, 0.68