Re: Even the Builders of Windows Find Tech Support a Challenge

__/ [ Nick Ballard ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 17:48 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 16:38 \__
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ---------------
>>> According to Allchin, Ballmer spent the better part of the next two
>>> days trying to rid this PC of worms, viruses, spyware, malware, severe
>>> fragmentation, and well, you name it. ... Allchin says Ballmer
>>> eventually gave up and instead lugged the machine back to Microsoft's
>>> Redmond, Wash. campus. There, several engineers spent several days,
>>> burrowing deep into the system to figure out the problem. ...
>>>
>>> It turns out there were more than a hundred pieces of malware of
>>> various types. Things that these engineers using Microsoft's own
>>> private tools could not ferret out and fix.... It took a team of
>>> engineers to restore this system to health. And it was a real wake-up
>>> call. "This really opened our eyes to what goes on in the real world,"
>>> says Allchin....Even so, it's my belief that Windows is still a long
>>> way from being a safe, protective, self-healing, impenetrable
>>> environment that assures top-level performance at all times. -
>>> -------------------
>>> http://www.itworld.com/Man/2676/nls_solutinons_vista060525/index.html
>>
>> OMG. This sure is embarrassing. It shatters all claims that people who
>> know their way around the computer (Windows OS in particular) are not
>> vulnerable to the common ills that have become so inherent. Given
>> Ballmer's wage, I am surprised (if not utterly shocked) that he didn't
>> slam the computer against the wall, followed by a violent lynch of some
>> fine furtiture.
>
> Who says Ballmer knows anything about computers?  He seems to be more
> involved with marketing and accounting...

  [1] That makes him a technical person

  [2] He spent two days in vain

  [3] The _engineers_ struggled with his machine, as pointed out in the
      article. A _team_ of them...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
  7:10pm  up 35 days  1:42,  9 users,  load average: 1.22, 1.02, 1.03