Re: [News] Australia Pushes on with Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 02 June 2006 07:59 \__
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> NICTA readies Linux-powered driving aid
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1573194622;fp;2;fpid;1
>>
>> Personally, I'd like to have more alarms from my car...  touch-wood,
>> I've never had a speeding fine, and hope to keep it that way!
>
> I have been thinking about such technology for years. If the car manufacturer
> will not permit facilitate this, some peripheral should. One option is to
> limit the speed and another is to despatch an automated report once the
> driver exceeds a certain speed.
>
> With global positioning systems and better car connectivity, the latter
> should be trvial to implement, even behind the driver's back. Speaking on
> 'behind one's back' and closed-source, I can envision the NSA tapping on the
> mapping software to spy on people much better, with a perfect excuse.

Rather depends on who wins the information war, or at least, where the
new lines are drawn.  The data protection provisions in the EU are very
strong, in the US they're very weak.  Unfortunately, the EU allowed
itself to be bullied by the US into making a 'safe harbour' exception
for the US, which should never have happened, and in the light of the
recent ruling regarding the one-sided handing over of EU citizen's data
to the US, I'm hoping similar rulings will begin to appear wherever else
the EU has done a 'Tony Blair'.

In the meantime, any of our data which is stored in the US is not subject
to our laws, but is in a country where the local government absolutely has
control of it, and has an amazing recent history of corruption.

> Also see this news item:
>

> ,----[ CyberTerrorism - Reality or FUD? ]
>| Random Utinni writes "The director of the U.S. Cyber Consequences Unit
>| (part of Homeland Security) claims that terrorist hackers are poised to
>| create total chaos. He predicts all sorts of scenarios, from changing
>| the formulae for medications to causing cars to explode after a few weeks
>| of driving. Is this guy fearmongering for an increased budget, or is he
>| on to something here?"
> `----
>
> http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot?m=5795
>
> I assume you have been following the NSA controversies recently.

Unfortunately, there's sufficient truth in these kinds of remarks to
gain traction in the media...  How sure can we be that your latest Ford
has not had its engine management software hacked, or that the pills
you've just bought were not from a production line where someone has
been playing with the management software?   The problem is that,
although the examples given are designed to shock, they're not, as such,
wrong.

It's all about proving a negative...

A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN DAQUIRI!!