Re: Windows Vista Drains the Juice (Battery Life)

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 06:36 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6079215.html?part=rss&tag=6079215&subj=news

>> > The key word is *customised*. By default, Vista does file indexing in
>> > the background and I bet that few people will find the 'driver's seat
>> > preset position' that suits their hardware.
>> >
>> > All that said, Windows has always been a resource hog. XP is a notorious
>> > resource pig and Vista is the outcome of just months of extending XP (or
>> > Server). That new stuff are modules like Aero mounted atop it, slurping
>> > away even *more* battery juice and slowing down the O/S in general.
>> >
>> > The concept of modularity, which was all along largely ignored, is
>> > biting MS in the rear and costing people money (battery
>> > extenders)/battery lifetime.
>> >
>> > Best wishes,
>> >
>> > Roy
>> >

>> I know that feeling. XPSP2 on this Dell with two spanking brand new
>> high-capacity batteries  runs a little over three and a half hours. SuSE
>> 9.3 w/KDE (same hardware)? FIFTEEN HOURS.
>

> Sorry but I don't believe that one bit. FIFTEEN hours on SuSE... not a
> chance. Do you have an URL  **ANYWHERE** that comes even close to
> substantiating that claim? Of course not. I posted a link about a month
> ago from a Linux advocate who ran tests (using an automated script to
> load web-pages) that showed that battery life was nearly identical
> between the XP and Linux. Actually XP was about 3-5% longer but the
> numbers were close enough to be identical.
>
> Fifteen hours is simply unrealistic. I don't care if you simply leave a
> laptop powered up and do absolutely **nothing** at all with it. You
> simply won't get 15 hours of battery life.
>
> My year old Dell can dual-boot into SuSE and XP and battery life is
> identical from my experience. There is absolutely no way in hell that
> SuSE gives me 5X the battery life of XP. Sorry Jim.. but that claim is
> pure BS.

I  agree that it sounds rather ludicrous. The brightness of screen eats up
a  large proportion of the power, which makes this statement  unrealistic.
As  for  some  personal  observations,  the only  visible  widgets  on  my
dual-head  are kgpg and system monitor. Unless I do something  particular,
the CPU usage meter indicates 98% idleness (X consumes just over 1%). Mind
you, the music player does not bother the CPU. This leads me to suspecting
that  Windows  does  a lot of unnecessary 'stuff' in  the  background.  It
always  keeps itself busy with *something*, which is a characteristic that
I noticed long ago and even mentioned in COLA on several occasions.

To  use  another example, I can use my Palm PDA with an external  keyboard
for  about  half  a day. I urge you to seek similar reports  that  involve
Windows  Mobile devices. Palm OS does not bother with CPU-intensive  tasks
(unless you use third-party addons), whereas with WinCE, all you do is sit
there  waiting for bells and whistles on a brightly lit screen, which  eat
up  your  battery  and infrequently entertain your peers  (if  anybody  is
watching at all).

Windows  Mobile  devices tend to require better hardware, which as  usual,
leads  to greater cost, size, weight, and battery consumption. Choose your
poison  then. I frequently hear about people who ditch Windows Mobile  and
come  to Palm. They are pragmatic people. Laptop and desktop user are soon
to  follow.  And Palm has moved to Linux by the way... Nokia and  Motorola
are heading in this direction as well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
  7:30am  up 36 days 14:02,  10 users,  load average: 1.24, 0.75, 0.73