Re: Open Source "Fundamentally American Concept"

__/ [ thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 02 June 2006 21:30 \__

>> Software cannot be patented in Europe, where sanity in the sense that
>> monopolies are discouraged, still prevails. I saw a headline earlier on,
>> which said that the FTSE and some European markets surged owing to
>> weakening job prospects in the States (MSFT down again, BTW). Don't get me
>> wrong here. I love the States and I have family there. I only wish to
>> defend a certain point of contention.
>
> Yes, moves toward draconian copyright and patent laws, ...

e.g. Apple and Microsoft locking media content, binding it to their own
products.

        http://defectivebydesign.org/

>... away from net
> neutrality, ...

e.g. tiered Web and even censorship.

        http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/62155/ (yesterday)
                Linux News Urges Action on Net Neutrality

        http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=21283&catcode=13

> ... and deregulation leading to increasing monopolies...

As example was brought to my attention last night. Microsoft funded the
implementation of .NET by another company so that a standard for this
'language' will be accepted. They could try to do the same with their XML
format, which is driven by an existing, opaque implementation.

> ... all
> paint a grim picture for the future of innovation and technology
> competitiveness in America.

I wish you the best of the Democrats. I was appalled to witness the outcome
of the previous elections.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  7:35am  up 36 days 14:07,  10 users,  load average: 2.39, 1.26, 0.93