Re: [News] "Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly"

__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 16:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Government says all new PCs must be Linux-friendly
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The government-run Central Trust of China has mandated for the first
>> | time that all desktop computers purchased from now on must be
>> | Linux-compatible, demonstrating the government's desire to widen
>> | the nation's usage of open source software.
>> |
>> | "It is a global trend that Linux is gaining wider adoption due to
>> | its lower costs and better adaptability," Mike Lin, a consultant
>> | at the Taipei Computer Association (TCA), told the Taipei Times
>> | yesterday.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2006/06/03/2003311446
>
> Taiwan is still the biggest producer of PCs and laptops in the world. Of
> course, domestic demands mean nothing for the stuff that they export, but
> from economies of scale, it could mean that they just order Linux
> compatible hardware in bulk and use that.
>
> Though hardware compatibility issues have sharply declined in the last 2
> years, this could be important.

I  imagine that this country aspires to become self-sufficient sooner than
later.  That  granted,  compatibility with Linux nationwise  will  improve
Linux  compatibility internationally, through exports (hardware-based  DRM
worries the mind). With the new law in place, expect Taiwan to become more
Linux-friendly  'in-house'.  In  turn,  it will have  an  inclination  and
financial  incentives to support and promote Linux worldwide, rather  than
suppress  it  along with monopolies' demands (latterly naked PC's  in  the
Republic of China).  When  the Great fire/Wall falls over along  with  the
fences, nobody will have a place to affix gates and windows.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
  6:40pm  up 37 days  1:12,  11 users,  load average: 3.08, 3.33, 3.26