Re: HACKING SUSE LINUX 10.1

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Saturday 03 June 2006 15:18 \__

> http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/1/
>
> "HACKING SUSE LINUX 10.1
>  Written by Jem Matzan
>
> When you're done installing SUSE Linux 10.1 OSS, your desktop system is not
> complete. You might still need support for Java programs, MP3 audio files,
> and browser plugins for Macromedia Flash, Adobe Acrobat, RealPlayer, and
> Windows Media Video. You may also want to add support for playing DVD
> videos on your computer, and to try out the new XGL graphical toys. Here's
> how to effectively make SUSE Linux 10.1 into the perfect desktop OS."

I  remember that article fairly well (not sure if I posted it to COLA, but
I  suspect  that  I did) because its use of the word "hacking"  is  rather
appalling  and  out  of  place.  Yes, it's no  "cracking",  but  how  does
extending  a desktop making it "hacked"? Either way, all platforms require
some so-called 'hacking'. Windows, for example, does not support PDF's out
of  the box and until not so long ago (revision-wise), it didn't have  any
built-in, integrated compression tools.

Most  Linux  distrobutions do not have these problems, whose solution  has
simply  become common knowledge to Windows users ("get WinZip, then go  to
adobe.com,  et  cetera  et  cetera", or  call  the  next-door  neighbour).
Non-commercial  Linux distributions are more likely to contain proprietary
components (e.g. codecs) 'out of the box'.

Lastly,   I  would  like  to  add  that  developers  (Web,  desktop)   and
distributors  often  make life bitter to non-Windows users simply  because
they  excessively /assume/ and practice prejudice. In a world where  Linux
dominated,  nobody  would have sent Office files (with macros/viruses)  or
even videos encoded with Microsoft codecs and potentially Microsoft DRM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  7:20pm  up 37 days  1:52,  12 users,  load average: 2.69, 1.80, 2.14