Re: Sony Exec: We Don't Need No Stinkin' PC

  • Subject: Re: Sony Exec: We Don't Need No Stinkin' PC
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 00:57:05 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Quote <snipped>:
>>> Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios president Phil Harrison
>>> feels that the PS3 is flexible enough to double as a gaming machine and
>>> a machine to handle all of your day-to-day PC-related chores. Sure, the
>>> PS3 has a powerful processing platform, storage capabilities, wired and
>>> wireless networking, USB ports, a media reader and a Linux based
>>> operating system -- but is that enough to displace a traditional PC?
>>> "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games,
>>> watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions.
>>> The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC," said Harrison.
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2634
>
> Frankly, I cannot envision myself browsing the Web on a coarse-resolution
> 21" TV set. It just doesn't work 'on the surface'. Besides, you already
> have the Municator, which connects to the TV set. It costs under $150,
> which is a quarter of the cost of one PS3 unit. And it's already here
> (well, in China)!

20 years ago I worked bulletin boards using MickeyTerm modem program on a
RadioShack Colour Computer, 32 char x 16 lines display.  The Atari 810,
Commodore 64 used a 40 char x 25 line screen.  For some reason, those low
resolution graphic/text computers were a lot more fun to work with.  We've
come a long way, although in reality I don't know if we are any better off.

Of course, the newer LCD TV's are sharp enough for reading text.

>> Like bamboo that bends during typhoon, Microsoft gave us Xbox for Linux:
>> http://www.shadowflux.com/xbox.html
>> http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Careful with that. While it drains Microsoft budget in the short-term, it
> gives game makers the wrong impression.

I was being superfluous and facetious.  What impression did you think it
gave game makers?

>> This looks even better.  What more more does one need than a name brand
>> gaming machine and Linux PC to boot?
>
> The Xbox 360 gets itself fried rather easily. It was badly engineered. I
> bet that when you return a unit for replacement, the vendor (returning it
> to the OEM) will not be happy to see Linux on main memory (blowtorch it!)
> and may decline an exchange.

My son has an Xbox.  My daughter has a Game Cube.  Can't say much else about
the Xbox 360 having never gotten my hands on one.  However, I don't think
Sony makes junk.

--
HPT