Re: QT/KDE based apps won't show JPEGs (except for Konqueror Web)

  • Subject: Re: QT/KDE based apps won't show JPEGs (except for Konqueror Web)
  • From: Daniel Buus <no.em@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 17:56:31 +0200
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Jim ] on Friday 02 June 2006 22:24 \__
>
>> DanielEKFA wrote:
>>> Hey :)
>>>
>>> Weird problem here, which I don't know exactly when I first encountered,
>>> but it has survived to KDE updates now (currently at 3.5.3 (on Kubuntu
>>> Dapper (which was Breezy until yesterday evening))).
>>>
>>> Thing is, any KDE/QT based application won't show JPEGs anymore. PNGs,
>>> fine. GIFs, fine. Anything but JPEGs apparently, fine... The thumbnail
>>> previews in Konqueror when it functions as a file manager are all just
>>> ugly Windows-ish default icons for image files. Gwenview doesn't show
>>> JPEGs, it doesn't even list them. KolourPaint won't either. As far as I
>>> can tell, any QT based app refuses to do so.
>>>
>>> Gqview works fine, as does the GIMP. So, it seems, GTK based apps don't
>>> have this problem.
>>>
>>> I was thinking it had to do with missing libraries until I tried
>>> creating a new user this morning. I logged in as this new user, opened
>>> up Konqueror as a file manager, and voila, it shows JPEGs. As does
>>> Gwenview, as does KolourPaint. Hmmm... What setting in my ~/.kde folder
>>> could possible be the cause of this?
>>>
>>> Konqueror as a web browser has no shortcomings, all JPEGs work fine
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Any input?
>>
>> I have had KDE built without support for gif's. That was due to the
>> support not being built in to Qt. Could it be that your Qt was built
>> without jpeg support?
>
> I was going to suggest it when I read the OP: check to see if Konqueror is
> set to display thumbnails for JPEG's locally. There are many options for
> previews with filetypes and such... reset to default if you are unsure.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Hi Roy :) As much as I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem (as no QT app I
used would "eat" JPEGs), it's all fine and dandy now. Upping Kubuntu from
Breezy to Dapper introduced a whole new arsenal of problems, so I finally
decided to start with a clean home folder, and now I'm in the process of
bringing back my mail, passwords, contact info, etc. No problems as of
yet :)

Cheers,
Daniel :)