Re: [News] Desktops Need 3-D; and XGL Better than Vista 3-D

__/ [ spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 04 June 2006 09:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> can the human mind at all comprehend and track 4D? I very much doubt it.
>> It's information overload, for sure.
>
> We might be bound by 3 dimensional perception, but I suppose if we were
> eased into it gently, we'd get to grips with a 4th evenutually.

Science is struggling with 3-D visualisation /already/. Holograms are one way
to tackling this and I believe that some research lab/group in the
Netherlands has a created a huge proof-of-concept 3-D display, which is very
mechanical and only contains about 1000 voxels. Then you are facing another
problem: stereovision and the ability of a human to digest depth and 3-D
from a top-down perspective. If you then introduce a fourth dimension (e.g.
the concept of time series), how on earth would you build this, let alone
make it digestable for a human?

Fred Bloggs: "Hmmm... where did I put that windows again? I think it was
desktop 16, somewhere at the back of the screen, tilted to the left. But
wait! I think it's only there one hour and 6 minutes ago, so let's go
backwards in time, too".

Maybe it's time to simply accept that novelty in dimensionality is not
pragmatic. There is a lot of work to be done in other domains, e.g. AI,
indexing, semantic representations, and further automation (cron jobs are
becoming a Luddite).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  9:45am  up 37 days 15:18,  11 users,  load average: 5.84, 2.98, 2.31