Re: COLA Stats 4 June 2006

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 June 2006 08:36 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ GreyCloud ] on Monday 05 June 2006 06:33 \__

>> If you look at a recent subsample of threads, you will see that the
>> most-replied to [News] items involve Microsoft in one way of another. I
>> can think of an explanation, but it's not something that will change.
>>
>> I often think about posting pure Linux material, but I don't think it will
>> have any takers. For that reason, I just blog about it. There, for
>> example, is something I posted half an hour ago:
>>
>> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/06/05/i-love-kde/
>>
>> I don't know about COLA readers, but active COLA posters are unlikely to
>> show much interest in such item. I would love to be proven
>> wrong/otherwise.
>>

> We have a lot of pure linux advocacy threads, but we also have a
> tremendous number of trolls who just, well, troll.  flatty, billwg,
> ErikF, Tim Smith and many many others (including nyms, especially
> flatty's) come up on a regular basis with posts which typically attempt
> to attribute windows problems to linux, or directly attack linux
> (wrongly, in general), or just promote MS.
>
> Personally I continue to advocate the view that troll-feeding is a bad
> idea, and Roy C's stats do highlight those who do it, as well as
> highlighting the trolls.  In the same way that your newspostings cause
> our trolls to complain, so do Roy's stats.  The fact that both are
> complaining suggests to me that you're both doing the right thing.
>
> Grey's p*ssed off because Roy called him on deliberate misquoting, which
> by accepted netiquette rules, really isn't on.

...Point taken and to a great extent agreed upon. I have defended Roy C in
this  context several times in the past and I also know Grey's motive  for
opposing Culley (yes, I was there when/where it happened). That said, I am
not  too  sure that echoing the names of trolls truly helps. They are  not
ashamed  of it. They almost take pride in the fact that they truly disrupt
the discussions in this group and justify unflattering labels. That's just
their motive.

I  am not sure that it's all that effective. You see, I had arguments with
houghi  in the SuSE newsgroup because I generate stats for that newsgroup.
He  rightly  had  me  convinced to manually drop  (as  in  erase)  trolls,
crossposters, and even posters who wish to remain anonymous (this included
houghi).  I am beginning to wonder if the best way to treat the trolls  is
to  treat  them as invisible, i.e. never to reply to them; never  to  list
them in the stats; even killfile them. They are redundant because of their
perversive  nature.  When I began ignoring trolls, this place became  much
more welcoming.

Dr.  Strangelove slant: "How I learned to stop replying to trolls and love
Linux".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:50am  up 38 days 14:23,  11 users,  load average: 2.05, 2.10, 1.57