Re: Dual-Booting Ubuntu and Another O/S

__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Monday 05 June 2006 15:12 \__

> M wrote:
>> Larry Qualig wrote:

>> Thanks Roy, might come in handy. For the moment I use 2 separate drives
>> which can be cold swapped. One windows (won't be used very often) and one
>> Kubuntu (dapper) :-)
>>

>> > I've done a couple of Ubuntu installs and it already seemed to be
>> > pretty easy. SuSE is a bit better IMO but Ubuntu certainly wasn't
>> > difficult.
>>
>> Have tried installing Ubuntu 6.06 yet Larry?
>
> Yes I have 'M' - I'm currently running it on this machine. I installed
> it before Roy posted the thread on improved disk/partition management.
> Basically this means that I wasn't paying all that much attention
> during this stage of the install so I can't say for sure how it
> compares with the Breezy Badger releases.
>
> I've been using computers long enough where I'm not frazzled by things
> like partitioning and formatting drives. New users or people less
> technical might be. I thought the SuSE installer was a bit "newbie
> friendlier" because it was more graphical and did a better job of
> conveying what was going on to the user. The 6.06 Ubuntu may have a
> better/friendler/easier paritioning tool but I didn't pay enough
> attention at the time to remember.

The SuSE installer is user friendly, but it is less autonomous, if I may add.
It still requires a little bit of user intervention (prompting, i.e. paths
to uncertainty), which unless you set up partitions for a dual-boot system,
Ubuntu will not give you. It's all just ENTER, ENTER, ENTER, ENTER. It's a
smooth ride unless your DHCP server does not respond properly or if wish to
change the machine name and choose a username/password. It's all peanuts if
you consider the fact that Linux takes (at most) half an hour to install but
"a lifetime to master". Burning/ordering/borrowing the CD should not be the
main challenge to tackle.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:35pm  up 38 days 21:08,  11 users,  load average: 2.55, 2.44, 2.43