Re: [News] BSD or Linux Chooser

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 05 June 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Black Dragon
> <bd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:15:28 -0400 (EDT)
> <slrne832rg.1qb8.bd@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> But GNOME (and maybe KDE as well) were said to have some
>>> quirks when strapped onto FreeBSD, due to negligence.
>>> I am fairly sure that in a practical settings, for
>>> desktop users at least, nothing will be be gained by
>>> switch to BSD. If anything, some will be lost.
>>
>> I found neither BSD or Linux practical on desktops, which is why I went
>> back to using Microsoft Windows. If my interest in running some form of
>> Unix on a desktop ever re-kindles, chances are I'll buy a Mac.
>>

> At the risk of sounding like Mindy [*] on the Animaniacs...."Why"? :-)
>
> More specifically, what is impractical about a Linux distribution
> on a desktop?  I happen to like Gnome but KDE looks equally usable,
> despite my misgivings about "moc" internally.
>
> I don't know regarding FreeBSD vs. Linux build issues.

You pulled that question right of of my mount. I can't think of any
advantages in using a Mac (just eye candy, which begins to lose its edge) or
*even* Windows (application saturation, a small proportion of which is buggy
freeware).

BSD seems to me like "Linux for unique people".

> [*] or, presumably, any 2-to-3-year-old. :-)

You really scare me sometimes, Ghost.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:45pm  up 39 days  1:18,  11 users,  load average: 3.77, 3.60, 3.67