Re: Microsoft Paying Google to Troll Linux

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Paying Google to Troll Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 03:11:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ 7 ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 20:48 \__

> John Bailo wrote:
>

>> Do a search for "Linux" on Google.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=linux&btnG=Google+Search
>>
>> Note the "sponsored links" at the top.
>>
>> There are two:
>>
>> Sun, advertising Solaris
>> Microsoft, Advertising "Get the facts".
>>
>> Sheesh.   Don't they ever quit?

John, this has gone on for quite a while. Around a year, I suspect. Look at
the bright side: before Xandros and Sun bought AdWords for 'linux', only
Microsoft was up there to confuse those interested in Linux with Get the
C**p Campaign.

> Therefore micoshaftism is now reduced to a giant troll
> to get any sort of customers paying for their products.
>
> BWAGAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I have always believed that Google should have some responsibility and
prevent sabotage to their roots, which are Free Open Source software.
Clearly, they just go for the money rather than their principles, even their
mantra. In the process, they shoot themselves in the foot.

By the way, Linux (OSDL) could probably have Google sued for this:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/02/10/google-sponsored-links/

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
  3:05am  up 40 days  8:38,  11 users,  load average: 2.15, 1.68, 1.00