Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

  • Subject: Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate
  • From: GreyCloud <mist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:58:23 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:35:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

The cartoon has the creator acknowledged, with an explicit link. As the
"About Site" page states, all graphics were created by myself or taken from
Stock Exchange, which is a royalty-free image stock where no restrictions
are imposed.

Acknowledging the author does not give you the right to use the work
without permission.  His site explicitly says:

"All images on this web site are copyright John S. Pritchett.
For details on usage, purchasing original artwork or commissions, Email
Pritchett"

Something you didn't do.  The author explicitly told me that you did not
have permission to use the image.

On HotLinking: for your information, I have had E-mail exchanges with John
Dvorak, who HotLinks all the time. He keeps defending his stance. Among all
the sites on the Web, my sites make no copyright infringements and I am very
strict about this, even when my contributers insist otherwise.

John Pritchett, the author of the work on your page explicitly says you are
infringing copyright.  Further, you aren't hot linking.  The image is
stored on your server.

If you need to put my full name in the subject line to get my attention, then
you are utterly miserable. And as your nickname suggests, you are also a
weasel.

Now, now, Roy. Don't get mad at me for your own criminal conduct.

Are you sure you didn't go out of your way to silence Roy? It sure looks like it.

-- Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?